Friday, October 31, 2014

Pull Me Out in Your Flood




Details: Jacket-Nasty Gal, Sweater-Urban Outfitters, Jeans-American Apparel, Shoes-Doc Martens

Happy Halloween! Today was a rainy day and it was awesome. I've been waiting to wear this anorak I got from Nasty Gal for the longest time so I was thankful for the opportunity. It's also finally starting to feel like fall! It's been rather warm lately, but the past two days have been a bit more on the chilly side which makes me very happy because I'm getting a little tired of showing up to class drenched in sweat after a long, probably uphill, trek. Sadly I'm still getting used to bay area weather and the importance of layering. Back home in Texas people complained about "crazy Texas weather" because the temperature could change quite drastically from one day to the next. Here the temperature changes quite drastically from one hour to the next. I like to joke that you can always tell how early a person's classes are by how warmly they're dressed. As a person on that 8 am grind for 4/5 days of the week, I find myself walking home at 11am in jeans, boots, and a sweater, feeling and looking like an idiot among the swarms of those in shorts and tees just arriving on campus. I really need to step up my layering game so I think my next clothing purchases will definitely be in the light-medium sweater category. 

Choosing a song to fit with today's gloomy mood was rather difficult seeing as most of the music I like could easily fit the theme. Since my last post included some serious grunge glorification I decided to hold out on the obvious music choice for this Seattlesque weather and go instead for something by one of my favorite bands, DIIV (fun note-they actually got their name from the Nirvana song "Dive" that was included on my 90s playlist from last week!) DIIV songs always take me back to last fall when I started listening to them during my first few weeks at Cal. I then had the joy of going to see them in concert at a tiny venue in San Francisco in May. I was literally 5 feet from Cole Smith and it was truly amazing. While all their songs are great, there's not a whole lot since they only have one album (still waiting on that second one guys, c'mon, I know you have like 100 songs you've made so please shave them down into an album already k thnx) I've chosen "Oshin" for today because it's definitely one of my favorites and also mentions rain and water and stuff so it's fitting I guess? But seriously if you've never heard any of their stuff, go download their entire album (it's called Oshin) and give it a listen!



Have a safe and spoopy Halloween!
Karis the Baybonnet

PS- Expect a Halloween post sometime this weekend; I'll be talking about my costume and all my spoopy shenanigans! 
PSS- Spooy is not a typo. It's just a far superior word to "spooky"



No comments:

Post a Comment